United Church of Christ
Our Opus 21 for Somers Congregational UCC coincides with the reconstruction of the church whose history dates back to 1727 when Samuel Allis was called as the first pastor. The third meetinghouse, built in 1840, burned in a devastating fire late Sunday, January 1, 2012. Insurance funds and generous donations have allowed the congregation to begin rebuilding the historic structure using modern fireproof materials.
Groundbreaking for the new church was held on September 23, 2012 with anticipated completion and dedication in the fall of 2013. When finished, this building, nestling the hills of Shenipsit State Forest, will be home to a 2 manual and pedal organ of 16 stops. This is our first instrument with a detached console.